Sunday, April 25, 2010

Final Performance-Blind



For my final performance, I sat blindfolded for three hours. I painted 3 paintings in this time the way I normally paint when I am at home- with my hands.
Now, one may think that this is an easy task and can be done regularly. But to be blind is extremely difficult. Not only did I have to place the paints in a strategic order, but I also had to remember that order, as well as keep them in that order by counting, feeling, hoping, and memorization. Now this is a fear for me, due to the fact that I already have bad eyesight. Without my glasses don't expect me to see who you are until your up close. As i get older I notice my eyesight getting worse and worse and I always say that it would be my luck to wind up blind in 30 years or something. This negative thought got me thinking. As an artist, what would it be like for me to create? How hard would it be? What would they look like? So this performance in which I faced my fear was a perfect time for me to figure this out. My method of working was to keep finding the edges of the paper and to feel around to where I had already applied the paint. It was also based on A LOT of memory as to what color I just put down and what shape I made with it. It would up being a challenge, but in the end I was so grateful that I was able to take that blindfold off.






No comments:

Post a Comment