Friday, April 23, 2010

Artist Critique

While observing the performance peices today, the one that stood out the most for me was, Ari's. As her peice she was leaned over in a bus stop cleaning the ground with a toothbrush. The only things she had with her were the clothes on her back, the toothbrush she was using to clean the ground and the red cup of water. She spent the entire three hrs scrubbing every inch of that bus stop.
Ari's peice used a lot of motivation and tedious movements in order to portray what she was trying to do in her performance. It was almost as if she was trying to clean a public place, which in reality was just going to get messed up again after her performance was finished. I like this peice because of the fact that I was able to relate to it. One summer my family and I went to Montauk and while sitting on my balcony I began to watch an old man with severe OCD he began to wipe the sand off the corners of his towel and everytime he would turn around to get the other side, he would kick sand on the corners he finished and begin again. Just like I had watched this old man, If I had the option I could have watched her performance for the full three hrs.
It really kept my attention. I began to wonder whats going to happen when it dries is she going to go back and start again or is she going to continue till the entire bus stop was scrubbed, and what was going to happen if the toothbrush broke or she ran out of water. Over all, i think that her project was very effective, whether what I thought she was trying to portray was in fact correct or not. It kept my focus and left me wondering, which in my opinion is what a good performance should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment