Thursday, April 22, 2010

Evaluation


I chose to evaluate the endurance performance piece of someone taking on the persona of a mime. They dressed up in a black and white striped shirt as well as black overalls and shoes. They wore a white necklace, painted their face white, painted their lips red and wore their dark hair down. The performance took place on Alfred university campus directly around the Alfred Saxon statue. The performance took place between 8 and 11 am.

I think that this would be considered a performance piece. Doing anything for 3 hours straight is enduring weather mentally, emotionally, or physically. I think in order to do this performance this person must have had a lot of mental and physical endurance. I think that I enjoyed this piece most because it was interactive. All of the other pieces were viewed by watching what these people were doing. With her piece we were able to shake her hand and share feelings with her. How many people just walked by some of the other pieces where this performer comes and seeks you out.

I thought the space she chose was fitting. This is an area that is going to see a lot of people walking by so adequate people will be able to interact with her. Having a statue next to a mime does seem like a strange thing. I could almost see her interacting with the statue when no one was around. One thing that I would suggest to improve this piece would be for her to have more things that she did. What she did was hilarious I wanted more. She did a very good job at keeping our attention and guiding the audience through her piece. She even told us when to leave by waving to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment