Saturday, April 24, 2010

Critical Analysis

As I walked up to Ari Hendershot inside the bus stop at Alfred State, it was not difficult to understand what she was doing, but the challenge was to figure out why she was scrubbing the bus stop floor. I feel her piece was a lot like mine in the sense that we were both spending unnecessary time on something that could be completed so quickly only if we had a different tool to use. Also, we both were doing a task for three hours where the results would quickly disappear. For me at least, I felt that we both tried to embraced nonsense.

While observing Ari, one thing that stood out was where she left her bag and shoes. They were placed right outside the bus stop and it almost seemed like she could have been walking along the sidewalk, on her way to get to "work", and when she was done with her job she'd pick it up and leave. If I were to see this happening (like it most likely did), it would give me as a viewer a clear understanding of the beginning and end to the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment