Thursday, April 22, 2010

Critical Analysis of Jackie's Endurance Piece

In Jackie's piece, she walked barefoot in a circle between Reimer and Tefft in front of the dumpster. Jackie was dressed in a black plain dress repeatedly following the path of the circle that led her nowhere. Her body language was quite interesting as she is holding her arms close to her chest and her chin close to her hands trying to keep as much body heat in as possible.
The plain dress, her long hair, and being barefoot gave her a sense of vulnerability. As she was making her path around the circle her bare feet stepped on shards of glass, metal and broken rocks every time she took a step. The expression of sadness and fear made me feel as though I needed to reach out and ask her what was wrong and if I could help her in any way. She embodied a helpless soul as she was silently limped over the pavement covered with harmful materials.
I enjoyed the location of where the piece was placed due to the beams of sun shining through the trees creating many dynamic shadows onto the site of the performance. As I watched this performance I felt as though I was watching a painful experience of loneliness which put me into the emotional state with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment