Saturday, April 24, 2010

Artist Critique

LIAnn sat on a towel on the ground in-between Cannon and Baressi. She was armed with a box of clementines and a book. In her statement she said she was going to eat the entire box (about 20) of clementines within the 3 hours provided. As we approached LIAnn, it looked as though she was just having a little picnic in the sun. But as we got close my mind shifted gears. She had already ate a lot of the box, and was spelling a word. What was the word going to be was all I wondered. She was not allowed to speak to any of us, so as we walked around her, she kind of reminded me of an animal in a cage at a zoo- on display. This made me think hard about the reason of her performance. Although i saw that her reasoning was to exemplify the "concepts of consumption and excess", I saw it almost as a critique on us as humans, always putting others on display (especially the famous). But her idea to me, goes along with what I thought because when people are put on display it usually is way too much, which reminded me of her consumption of all 20 clementines.



No comments:

Post a Comment