Friday, April 23, 2010

Critical Analysis of Devon Rinn's Piece

As I approached the bench between the Baressi and Cannon dorms, I saw a figure collapsed on the bench. Her head flopped backwards and her arms and legs were completely limp. As i came closer, I realized who this morbid character was. Here was Devon, in almost all black (except for her socks), sprawled across the bench looking very much "dead." I had not read her artist statement ahead of time but I knew right away what she was trying to portray. It was pretty obvious from the way she sat and how she had done her makeup.

I loved the lighting on her when we went to view her performance. The sun was very intense and made it seem as if she had died during the night and was just left on the bench for the morning. It made me wonder what her "cause of death" had been. I also couldn't help but stare at her. I almost hoped I would catch her move. I wondered if Garrett's cigarette smoke was going to bother her and show on her face when the wind blew it by her. But she really impressed me by how motionless she was, even her breathing was extremely shallow. I want to know if anyone approached the bench and worried that she really was dead. It would be interesting to see how many good samaritans there were that would call for help or see if she was ok.

The fact that Garrett was next to her smoking was a funny coincidence. It did seem to look like she had died from second hand smoke or that she was a look into the future as to what would happen to Garrett.

The one thing that did bother me about the piece was that she was fighting for attention between Garrett and Lauren's piece. It was kinda like she was squished in between them. I feel like her piece would have been much stronger if she was all alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment