Friday, April 23, 2010

Evaluation on Lauren Carli's Piece.

The piece of artwork I'm evaluated is of Lauren Carli's. When I fist came across her, I have to say, I had no idea it was her. I spend about 50 seconds looking at her, and wondering if this girl was ever even in our class. Lauren was dressed up as a black and green ballerina with all her joints attach to a giant marinate strings. The audience was invited to play with her, and move her arms or legs however they want.
The reason I didn't recognize Lauren was because I've never seen her wear makeup like that. Lauren is not someone I think "Ballerina" when I see her. She has more of a kick ass kind of attitude than that of delicate and graceful. I hear her bickering with Chip constantly, and it wasn't a surprise that Chip didn't pass the chance to play with her arms and make her act like a dinosaur. You could see in the expression of her face how annoyed she was, yet she was helpless.
I didn't read the the artist statement but I didn't have to. I could tell Lauren didn't like the idea of being helpless or having other control her and that she was playing this fear. Being dressed up as a ballerina I think sort of shows how society might view women. All dressed up and pretty, but anything she does is controlled by Chip. I think the whole performance was very creative. I do question the chair that was on the base of the tree. At first, I thought you were suppose to sit on the chair and then pull the strings, but where the chair is, it makes it awkward to pull the strings. Maybe this a symbol that a chair is right there, but Lauren can't reach it and she has to stand for three hours, never resting. I also think that it would have been better with out the artist statement, because the message Lauren is trying to get across is so clear, it doesn't need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment