Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Lint, felt, laundry, fibers, and time to pass







Originally I had planned to sit in the laundry room, needle-felting lint from the dryers into a large ball. Immediately, I discovered that the fibers were too fine to perform as I had hoped. As I experimented with the lint, I decided to see if it could be encouraged to felt by adding more wool fibers to the mix. Looking next to me, I noticed the large pile of sweaters that i had left out of the dryer. I began plucking fibers from them seeing if different proportions could create a more solid ball. Eventually, I started to felt the wool fibers into sheets which wrapped around the lint scraps. Towards the end of my time, I manipulated the fibers so that they would felt more effectively by dipping them in hot soapy water. I finished my time by playing around with different arrangements of the little felt balls.


felting the time away from brighid Connors on Vimeo.

.music by Amiina

.Thanks to Nicki for use of her camera

No comments:

Post a Comment