Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Hanging Around Performance

From what started off as a funny performance that I could a lot of fun with, it turned into a serious safety issue. I started my performance at 2:30 pm by standing a chair in Barresi commons and allowing my friends to tape to me the wall. It took a little over an hour and a half to tape me enough that would support my weight. During this time, my body began to cramp from being restricted and immobilized. My left shoulder, back, knees and heels were among the hurting parts. I knew that it would be a VERY uncomfortable time to finish out the performance. After there was enough tape to support me, my friends took some creative liberty and decided to make clothes out of the colored duct taped I had bought. Once the 'outfit' was complete, they removed the chair and by request by me, signed their names along my body, as well as anyone who happened to be walking by. They stayed there with me in case I was thirsty or wanted something to eat. About 10 minutes after the chair was removed, I began to feel dizzy and the room was spinning. I told them what was happening and as soon as I did, I passed out. They ripped me from the wall and called public safety. I came to and began to hyperventilate and couldn't hear anything. An ambulance was called and I was taken to the hospital where they took some chest x-rays and was stabbed with about 5 needles and they explained to me that the tape was suffocating me. I was released around 8:00. I realize that my performance did not last the full 6 hours, but from the time I began to get taped to the time I was released was almost the full 6 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment