Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sound Postcard Andrew Ross

For my sound postcard I recorded the sound of a fan and then, using digital software, I slowed down the pitch gradually until it was - 100% (which means that the sound is at a "zero point" where it is not playing or making noise anymore).
I chose this sound because I usually use a fan in my room everyday. While sitting in my dorm, the hum of the fan is a constant sound. I wanted to experiment with altering that consistent buzz. The most interesting way to do so I found was to change the pitch of the sound (slowing down or speeding up the sound). First I tried with my turntables, but the range of pitch change was only + or - 10%. So instead I used a music mixing software on my computer which had a pitch changing range + or - 100%. I played the recorded sound in the program and recorded myself slowing it down gradually to - 100% or the point at which the sound stops completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment