Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Personal Record Of Time

I kept time by recording the number of complaints made by people I met throughout my day:
The number of complaints were the worst right before lunch and dinner. We are hungry people. Typically the complaints focused on empty stomachs and/or trifling irrelevant matters. Because of hunger. Complaints were few or nonexistent as we ate... both because we were eating and because we were satisfied. The time surrounding classes also held scattered complaints regarding various assignments and work. During class, complaints were usually silent: an eyeball roll, an exasperated look, a raised eyebrow, the sharing of a frown. The occasional murmur interrupted a droning lecture. Complains almost completely stopped as, in the evening I was able to spend time with my friends. The following morning before foundations, the only complaints were the ones I was thinking, since my roommate and I were both too tired to speak. Then foundations began.

No comments:

Post a Comment