Monday, March 29, 2010

I wanted to go with a horse that could go up and down, and in a circle. I hadn't seen any examples that did both to one subject so I had to figure it out on my own. I thought if having two gears to make the circle, than having something else that could make the whole contraption go up and down. It later occurred to me that I could have the gear spinning it, be in a shape that could also make the hose go up and down. I started out using gears, but I found that I couldn't make the gears fit with each other, especially in the unusual shape. After making a bunch of failed gears, I realized I did have enough friction to make the odd shape not a gear. I was happy with this for a while, unt
il I put the horse on. First the horse put weight on only one side of the stick, so that's why the sun-which was one of the failed gear- became attach to it. Also, it would only spin if the shape moved across the gears and I had accidently glued it too close so there was not enough friction for it to turn. I fixed it, but contact with the shape and gear is so light, that the gear often falls out of place and has to be set back in place. Anther problem that sometimes happens is that the yarn holding up the stick sometimes gets tangled. Inside the box, I painted a dessert landscape with a camel that I had painted, cutout and then pasted into the box. I also covered the box in sand paper and the floor of the box, the sand paper is cut in small round shapes and layered. Overal I like the way this came out, though it wasn't as goodas I had hoped. I wish the actually turning would work better, but I still havn't figured out a better way to solve the problem of going both up and down and around.


After brining it to class, I realized a big issue I was having was that the stick that the horse and sun were on was not straight. I added a little bit of cardboard to the top to keep it straighter. I think it helped a lot.















































































































No comments:

Post a Comment