Tuesday, March 2, 2010

6 Hour Endurance Piece

This was a very interesting experience for me. At first, it was not that bad because my partner and I were just sitting still. When it was time to move though, things started to become difficult. Since Jake could not hear, I could not use my voice to communicate with him and tell him what I wanted to do. I tried to give some sort of hand signals, but it was hard since I could not see where I was or what was happening around me. So after a while I was just an extension of Jake and I had to go wherever he went.

One of the first tasks that we had to complete was eating pizza. Jake had to hand me each slice and I had to tap him every-time I wanted another.

By the fourth hour I was becoming better at navigating the room around me and could lead Jake around the room to different chairs and even the fridge. I found that my ears were slightly more sensitive to white noises like fans.

Not much else happened for the rest of the piece and when the sixth hour ended, I removed my blindfold. I felt like I had just woken up from a deep sleep and the brightness of the room hurt my eyes. This eventually subsided and everything was back to normal.

This piece really gave me some perspective on what someone with a disability has to deal with on a daily basis. Next time I would want to try it with the headphones.



No comments:

Post a Comment